Monday 3 September 2012

Making my way past the undersea tunnel to Yangsan


Today would be a very interesting day as I was attempting to make my way to Yangsan. I had heard that only vehicles were allowed in the undersea tunnel connecting the way to Busan but was determined to try my luck nonetheless. There was no way of getting my bike over otherwise so it was an early start, following the expressway that led to my one known path over.

I had met Andy during my last trip and it was the perfect time to meet him at Yangsan. The weather was clear and the ride rather uneventful. This was a slightly longer ride compared to my usual 50 km or so a day. Andy had been kind enough to invite me over to stay with him for a few days and I had to make my way to his address.
The ride down covered some greenery and I stopped by a little before proceeding on. Towards the entrance to the undersea tunnel, I came across a female officer blocking the path and waving her hands to say I could not proceed. Naturally I knew this would happen and was amazed when they led me in and allowed me to sit and relax as another officer came by to chat with me. I had covered some distance already and it didn't make sense to cycle back to find another way through the tunnel. The officer understood this and asked me if we could try for a cab. I agreed but after some time we both realized that the cabs charged a large fare for going past the tunnel.

To my surprise even the officer felt that the fare was too high and asked me to wait awhile. Coffee and some warmth definitely felt good while I waited. Some time later the officer returned and led me to a large lorry. He had spoken to the driver and they had agreed to ferry me over ! I was really impressed with the kindness shown and placing my bike at the back of the huge truck, headed off into the undersea tunnel, hitch-hiking a ride.

The driver who had agreed to drive me across was very nice and explained about the route and some of the things that we were seeing. Along the way, he also inquired on my destination and being familiar with the area, said he would drop me someplace convenient. We had to part ways shortly as he dropped me off but I was much more closer to my destination and naturally well rested and energetic. Life had once more shown me an easy way out and all I had to do was trust.


Following the path down towards Yangsan, I found it not too difficult to make my down to Andy's place. He had been sweet enough to share his entrance codes with me earlier and I decided to wait for him while he returned home after work. Walking into Andy's apartment felt like a breath of fresh air considering that I had been on a road some time. Walking in felt almost like I was messing up the place just doing so.

Having close to more then an hour, I showered and waited. It was truly a happy reunion meeting a friend I had met a year ago. Definitely felt amazing inviting someone to his own home !

After some time catching up and a proper introduction to his delightful home, Andy brought me down to a nearby restaurant and it was a beautiful end to a somewhat questionable day as it had begun.After a delicious meal, it was time to call it a night.

What I had learned that day would stick around for an entire lifetime, that when someone says a path is closed, it makes perfect sense to ride it to the last kilometer before agreeing.




No comments:

Post a Comment