Thursday 23 August 2012

Aug 23 - Cycling to Seongju


The ride today would be wet and I started early just to cover as much ground as possible. My next destination was Seongju. Having had so much difficulty moving around Dogyusan, it was prudent to leave early so as to make up for moments I would be lost as well. The landlady was sweet enough to give me a plastic raincoat as I left and even asked if I wanted Bap or rice before I left. I had a coffee and left, looking like a superhero with my white plastic raincoat fluttering around me like a cape. As I was cycling I realised that the place I was in had many grapevine plantations and stopped by a roadside shop for some fresh grapes off the vine. The old couple manning the shop had many questions for me as I sat down and it was interesting talking to them.
The whole basket of grapes was meant for me but I politely declined saying it was a bit too much for me to carry. I had a few bunches and the sugar was really good midway through the ride.
It was interesting that the couple did not eat the skin of the grapes but rather peeled it off and just ate the insides of the grape. I ate the whole thing, seeds and all. After a good 15 minutes of resting and having grapes, I carried on with my journey.

Life seems misty
Cycled through the Najetong-moon or Najetong gate, a gate made by boring a hole through rock and carried on in the rain.. The mist was particularly strong today and most of the way was with poor visibility. Thankfully the number of vehicles were few and I could carry on. Most of the way was sloppy as well and I recall having to get off and push a few times. Wearing cleats meant that I had to have some momentum or I would just fall, bike and me.

Getting past the slopes, I had to ride on a road that was beside a river, following the curves of the river as it wound down and this was an awesome ride. The strength and power of the rain laden river somehow seemed to energise me and this part of the ride went by rather quickly. At this point, Seongju was a mere 30km away and I stopped by a bridge to watch the river coursing by. There were lifebuoys left in the water for emergency use and the weathering on the rocks were really intricate.


Had a short chat with some koreans who were enjoying the river and one of them offered to take a picture for me, white cape and all :) The ride would take me down a few more mountain slopes, which I enjoyed and to the outskirts of Seongju. There were many white structures at the outskirts with plants inside and there were called Penil houses and were to keep the temperature high for plant growth.

Pizza time after a cold ride

Cycled into town and my first stop was a pizza parlow where I wolfed down a pizza while using the wifi to check mail and the nearest motel. I found out that the nearest motel and perhaps the largest, was a love motel called Ace motel. Checking into Ace motel, I was greeted by a lady who seemed exceedingly plastic but allowed me to stay for the night at 30000 won. Happy with my deal, I checked into a rather nice room, complete with a large bed, fan and air-con.
Ever ready for coffee, I walked into a coffee place just 2 minutes from the motel and found that it was something different. An outlet for working girls, coffee houses typically comprise of a coffee establishment which offers outcalls. Potential clients would call the coffee house,(Which has 2 numbers prominently displayed outside ) and the girls would deliver them. Whatever happens then would be at the discretion of these girls and the caller. One identifying feature was that all of these kinda coffee places had a love or heart symbol over the coffee cup shown on the board. Walking around I realised that this small town had at least 5 such coffee houses.

After a cuppa coffee to unwind, ( Just the coffee :), I went back to my room for a rest and to recuperate from a day of cycling in the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment