Thursday 9 August 2012

August 9 - Sobaeksan National park via Danyang

Woke up in the morning to the loud chatter of koreans sitting by my hut. To be honest I was a little annoyed as I didn't have a good night's sleep but it was a good wake-up call. Packed up my stuff and changed to my cycling attire, my Northface challenge t-shirt and cycling shorts. I had a seat made of carbon so though it looked sleek, it definitely wasn't comfortable long term. That's where the padded tights provided relief.

 I was to head towards Danyang and this would lead me to Sobaeksan national park. All I saw on the signboard on the above was that Sobaeksan was a RIGHT.

Stopped by at this place for a quick bite and a coffee. I have a NASTY habit of drinking coffee all the time and this was a perfect time. Noticed lots of people moving around below and found out I was at a tourist location, the Dodamsambong peaks.

                                                               
The three peaks rising out of the serene lake looked
beautiful but what I liked most was the pagoda built on the peak. Stood there observing the peaks for awhile before carrying on with my journey.
Danyang is a beautiful scenic place and just after the bridge in the picture on the left was the tourist office, which gave me good information and also a tourist map. It was possible to see people para-gliding off the jump off on the right as I went past.

View from the bridge as I went past it

Every major tourist town in Korea has a tourist office which not only has sufficient information for tourists but also numerous pamphlets and brochures. Most of the koreans working at such offices also speak some if not sufficient english. Made it so much easier for me to find my way around.

Danyang also has a cave system worth visiting, the Gosu caves but I was more intent on heading to Sobaeksan mountain. The lady at the office even came out to show me exactly which road to head towards :)

The way to Sobaeksan national park bypassed the entrance to Gosu caves as well as an area with lots of rocks and plants for sale, mostly for artwork.

Made my way to Sobaeksan and went straight to the national park visitor centre, just opposite the park office. The visitor centre was located high up and walking up with clip-ons wasn't the best option since they didn't give much friction.

The walk to the visitor's centre also goes past the darian falls, which offer a nice sight on the way up.

I was given a nice welcome at Sobaeksan and my bike placed safely inside the visitor's centre ( One of the rangers also cycled and that helped ). I also asked for the wireless password and used the time resting to check my emails.

The stream running by the side












After my usual routine of repacking, I made my way down to the campsite where I would be spending the night.

Sobaeksan National park has a large camping area and interestingly had a shower room, igloo shaped rooms  with shower facilities and clean. There are separate igloos for the genders and they were pretty spacious inside. Right by the shower rooms was a stream running which was a perfect spot to just unwind and relax after a day of decent cycling.  My legs were getting used to the trekking and cycling continuation and the cold water definitely helped.


After a good shower and a simple meal of ramen, it was time to sleep :)




No comments:

Post a Comment