Friday 3 August 2012

Seoul Day 3 - Bukhansan National Park

Woke up on Day 3 feeling rather energetic and having a mission in mind. I had to get a pump ! Otherwise it was heading towards disaster as tyres do decrease in pressure as the days go by. Cycled around and kinda lost my way, eventually reaching this place called dream forest, more like a large park then a forest. My heart rate rose when I realised that dream forest was very close to Bukhansan national park. Not in the plan but I decided to try for it either way.
Just at the entrance of dream forest

A typical korean signboard
Made it to Bukhansan national park and tried to find the main office but lost as I was I went into one of the side trails. I did not have a map or any food but thought it would be easy. Being foolhardy, i decided to carry my bike as well since I did not have a place to keep it safe. This would be the first and last time I would be doing this.


Walking up the trail with the bike on my shoulders.
Made it up the trail, not to the summit but to the fortress at the top. I was kinda adopted by an elderly couple who shared some Gimbap and fruits with me. Gimbap is a rice roll with vegetables and egg or anything at all at the core. It was rather filling and the fruits tasted heavenly. The weather was really hot and the fruits helped to hydrate me.
Gimbap !

The kind couple who not only led me around but also shared food and drinks with  me
This couple that I met was the first out of a long line of koreans who would be very kind to me and rather gracious with their hospitality and food. The koreans are generally very helpful and kindness seems to be an inherent trait in them. I was so surprised as well and pleased.

The Bukhansan fortress wall covers quite a decent distance and the view from the top is really beautiful. It is possible to see the Seoul tower and the city itself. The couple with me explained that the holes in the fortress were for weapons and even demonstrated how it was during war-time.
A final shot at a particularly nice view on the way down. I was rather tired by this point thanks to carrying a bicycle on my shoulder all the way. Looked rather macho but I felt it was rather silly on hindsight. The good thing from this was that I would never do this again :)







On leaving Bukhansan National park, I found my way back relatively easily and stumbled upon a small bicycle shop, appearing more like a shack. The father and son who owned the place seemed very intrigued by my bike with its carbon rims and were more then happy to help me pump up my tires and oil the chain. I in turn, bought a korean pump, heavy and big but definitely workable as well as an adaptor. These would be part of my bicycle kit till the journey ended.

This old man was really helpful and I found him rather cute. It was hard to take a picture with him as I believe his eyesight was rather bad. He's holding on to what I would call an essential item that I almost missed getting, the bicycle pump. The small portable pump I brought along was well....portable. haha

Another picture of the pump I got. The plastic push down part made it look like a toy but the rest of it is all metal and rather heavy at that. The clip at the end has 2 metal parts that pretty much clamp down on the adaptor so its pretty efficient. Very durable and lasted me my whole journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment