Saturday 18 August 2012

August 18 - Trekking up Gyeryongsan National Park

Had a good night's rest and walked out of my campsite all ready to head to the Mt Gyeryong. Little did I know it would be a totally different experience today.

Walking out of my campsite and making my way to the park's main entrance, I chanced upon 2 korean ladies who were regular trekkers at the park. We started chatting and I decided to trek up with them. One of them could speak english moderately while the other understood but could not speak.

View just outside the monastary
 We stopped by various streams to wash ourselves and they shared their snacks with me along the way, conversing as we went along.

I would converse with them all the way, finding out that they were much older then me, in their 40s and still pursued a healthy lifestyle. This is something else I admire about the koreans, how staying in shape and fit remains a life-long mission. I hardly saw a korean woman out of shape and they go through a disciplined life to remain that way. We made our way up to the Nammaetap pagodas, about 500 m from the peak. Visiting a monastary just at the vicinity, we were invited to dine inside ( maybe the monk saw that I looked hungry)



Lunch was korean cuisine, complete with kimchi and green chilli ! The large green chilli pieces looked forbidding but were not too spicy. After a filling lunch and cups of coffee ( They had them there), I followed my guides ( the 2 ladies) down. After a sip of water from a natural stream that had been diverted to form a water collection point, we were off on our way down.


A monastary on the way down
Fresh water
Personally I found Gyeryongsan national park rather packed for my liking and it was a stark difference compared to the previous parks where silence was my companion.

With my 2 companions
We walked down to the Donghaksa valley and it was a nice walk, with lots of greenery and running water. Coming back to the base of the park, I was treated to korean pizza and a beer after which the two ladies left. We had plans to meet for dinner at Daejeon city and I walked back to the ranger office to find out how I was to make my way there.

Took a look at my bike and was pleased to see that it was safe and dry. Gyeryongsan national park had a large waterproof storage bin for storing large items like prams and bicycles. A few other parks had these too though this was the first time I was using it.

On the bus 
Spoke to the rangers and found out that I would have to take a bus down to Daejeon city. Didn't make sense to cycle down for dinner. This was going to be my first bus ride down and I was excited. I waited for the rangers to end work and off we went to the bus station nearby.

The bus system in Korea is very affordable and reliable, with buses connecting towns and cities. Comfortable seats and with my two friends, I made it to daejeon city within 45 minutes. Dinner was at a korean restaurant and the two ladies from earlier refused to let me pay.

I also got to meet the son of one of the ladies and having studied abroad, he acted as a translator. It was an awesome dinner and very filling. It was very touching that strangers I had met just hours earlier would do so much for me.










I was very impressed with the fact that Sun drove an AUDI to pick me up. Interestingly she was also the one who stopped at almost every stream to wash her face and appreciated nature very much.

It was fascinating to see someone with a material aspect also have such a simple side to her and illustrated to me the importance of balance in life.

Someone I'd never forget
Oftentimes I have seen many people who are tilted to either materialism or towards another aspect but here I saw someone who had a mix of both worlds.

This lady was kind enough to give me a lift all the way back to my campsite and it was a very sweet gesture. She even wanted to see where my tent was and after assuring her I would be safe, I made my way in the darkness to my tent.

 It had been an awesome day.








No comments:

Post a Comment